We invite members of the Malawi Scotland Partnership (MaSP) in Malawi and the Scotland Malawi Partnership (SMP) in Scotland, to attend a major high-level national conference in Lilongwe on Friday 28th and Saturday 29th September 2018. ‘Malawi and Scotland: Together for Sustainable Development’ will celebrate the friendship between our two nations and discuss the next chapter in the bilateral relationship.
Date: 28th and 29th September 2018
Venue: BICC, Lilongwe, Malawi.
Booking: firstname.lastname@example.org or click here
The conference has five strategic objectives:
- UNITE: Convene Malawian and Scottish representatives and key stakeholders from across government, parliament and civil society to advance understanding of, and commitment to, the nation-to-nation and people-to-people friendship amongst these representatives and stakeholders and the general public in both countries.
- LISTEN: Listen to a range of voices across Malawian and Scottish society to better understand and communicate the distinctive features of the bilateral relationship.
- LEARN: Provide a forum to capture learning on how this people-to-people model has developed and the impact it has had since 2005, sharing good practice and identifying opportunities to address gaps in the bilateral relationship’s contribution to the development challenges facing Malawi.
- ENVISION: Create vision and purpose to drive collaborative multi-sectoral working to contribute, from 2018 to 2030, to the attainment of the Global Goals.
- PLAN: Advance concrete recommendations as to how the people-to-people engagement between Malawi and Scotland will work to fulfil the Malawi Scotland Global Goals Partnership Agreement (GGPA) of 2018 across the six strands: Health, Education, Civic Governance, Sustainable Economic Development, Renewable Energy, and Water & Climate.
Friday 28th September, the first day of the conference, will be structured around the six strands of the new Partnership Agreement and will be a full day. Saturday 29th will be a half-day, concluding at lunchtime to allow travel time for Malawian delegates. The conference will have a specific focus on three core priority areas: the Sustainable Development Goals, safeguarding, and youth participation.
We are not able to offer any financial assistance for travel and accomodation for all delegates. A small number of more remote community-based groups in Malawi will receive some modest support from MaSP for travel to Lilongwe but there is no budget to support international travel. We hope some SMP members may be in Malawi at the time, or may possibly be able to schedule an upcoming trip around these dates. All MaSP members will be receiving direct invitations but please do feel free to pass this on to your partners as well.